Wednesday, May 09, 2007

What a day...

1. Class today was one of those days where I felt like
a) screaming at someone
b) telling someone to "fuck right off"
c) giving myself a lobotomy
d) checking to make sure that my students' brains were plugged in and in the on position
e) throwing my hands up in disgust and disbelief
f) suppressing my annoyance and using this blog as a release valve
g) all of the above

If you chose g), then you are correct. Let me give you a few vignettes from class...

  • when some dude said that he wouldn't mind visiting Mexico because he had watched a documentary on it or something, a dopey broad cuts in with "I hate Mexico...I don't like Mexican people at all." When asked why, she responded that even though she had never been there (and didn't appear to know SFA about it) a guy that she perceived to be Mexican asked her to dance one time - at a night club of all places! She thought that he was too forward, and therefore hates the whole country.
  • Apparently all Chinese people are dirty and smell bad. Chinese food is disgusting, and Chinese people have no manners. My students confirmed this by never having been to China, and eating jajangmyun (a Koreanized kind of Chinese food that is popular here)
  • Korean guys have better manners than guys from any other country, which is why so many "foreigners" love Korean guys, like "Bi" (is that "BEE" or "Buy"?)
  • A group of girls in class discussed at length the need for equality between men and women, then went on to stress the importance of trying to land a rich guy to marry above factors such as appearance, personality, love, trust, blah blah...to the point that one guy in class finally said to them "you are so shallow. Make your own money." That caused some tension for a minute...I was satisfied.
  • In the second class, an older lady explained to me in great detail how I need to go to church and read the bible faithfully in order to live properly. At that point I was considering choice b)
These incidents are nothing new really, and any teacher can pretty much hear this shit all the time, but for some reason, today it was annoying the hell out of me. Maybe it was all of them happening in the space of 2 hours. I usually prefer hear doses of idiotic comments thrice a day, usually after meals and accompanied by a glass of water. I took this photo with my camera phone during class...I think it will give you an idea of the caliber of conversation going on.


Thank you blogspot.com...giving me free space to air these beefs has probably prevented me from getting fired, going to jail, getting in a dust-up, or indeed, all of the above.

Vacation can't come soon enough

4 comments:

The Goat said...

Those kind of remind me of something I heard long ago but have never been able to make sense of...

Q. If a plane crashed in the palm of my hand, how many flapjacks would it take to cover Snoopy's doghouse?

A. It doesn't matter because ice cubes don't float in beer.

I am sure your students would understand though....

John McCrarey said...

Well, as long as you are working to live as opposed to living to work you can put days like this in perspective, right?

I'd recite the serenity prayer here but I'm afraid you'd invoke option (b) on me, so I just told myself to STFU.

Goat, are you sure ice cubes don't float in beer? 'Cause if they do, I think the question you pose is easily answered. Think about it.

BTW, watched the Lady Survivors take down Albert's last night. The old man was there too and he even bought be a bowl of soup. How cool is that?

The Goat said...

"Goat, are you sure ice cubes don't float in beer? 'Cause if they do, I think the question you pose is easily answered. Think about it."

Clearly you don't understand because you are not ___________.

VonJackass said...

I beg to differ...I've seen John floating in beer many times. If anyone knows, it has to be him.

That is true though John...all jobs require a guy to tolerate some degree of annoyance and frustration. I shouldn't complain really...when I talk to some of my buddies back home working more in a day than I do in a week then I truly feel blessed (by bulls, not by god). That being said, I guess venting is a way of keeping sane so that I can go back in tomorrow and hear the same nonsense with a smile on my face!