Monday, November 20, 2006

Eggs and Darts

Yesterday kicked off with "Breakfast at Barry's" with the Barrister whipping up eggs benedict and pouring up a few spicy caesars to get a jump on the morning. He had a bit of clamato left over from a trip back to Canada, so he thought it would be a nice way get sharpened up for the darts tourney going on in the afternoon.

Lorne, Barry and I made it to 3 Alley right at 1pm, the start time for the event, but we could have shown up a few hours later as it was a slow haul getting through some of the preliminary rounds with only one dart board. Anyway, we shot a bit of pool, had a beverage, a snack, a chat, a few cigars, read the paper, took a siesta, shopped on ebay, solved a few sidoku puzzles, wrote and recited a couple of limericks, figured out our taxes, and thumbed through the underlined passages of War and Peace; then we waited.

Darts finally flew and we got some pretty decent games in. The Goat got short changed in doubles by being the odd man out and having to choose a partner from the lower division, who turned out to be not bad though. My partner was a wizard at bulls, so it gave us a bit of an edge on everyone right off the bat cuz he was pretty accurate at piercing one or two in the first couple of rounds. We squeaked through a rematch with Roddy and Colin and walked away with the cash.

Singles was a bit wilder. Colin and I met up for the third time of the day, but both of us got off to slow starts and chipped along until finally I got through. The Goat and I met up in round two and he was handing me a beating, but a sturdy 5 bull comeback took me into the finals where Roddy and I locked up in 01. He is a cricket master, so I wanted to stay away from that if possible, but in the end it didn't matter as he sent me on my way after we battled for the double out.

A quick steak at Hollywood's after and I was home for some shut eye. The only problem with going to bed so early is that I then wake up early, so I was up around 4am seeing what was on the tube...nothing, as you might expect. I am burnt out today...my class might not be up to par...oh well, I have given them all the knowledge I have already, so what more can they expect!

1 comment:

The Goat said...

Curses to you...may curses. I am not really sure if that is a good way to lose or a bad way...

Double bull - bull to finish me off in the moments where I was already prepping for the finals.

What a rough weekend that was....