Sunday, March 18, 2007

The God Who Wasn't There

It being Sunday, I thought I would observe the Sabbath by watching a documentary entitled "The God Who Wasn't There." It brought up several interesting points about religion from a historical standpoint, but the director eventually fell apart by revealing that he went to a Christian school and then went back to the school to have some sort of childish confrontation with his former headmaster. That in turn lead me to various readings about religious this and that: conservative politics and complaints about liberal religious views, Westboro Baptist Church, a few atheist readings, evangelical scams, free will and then of course a few hockey highlights (dammit...the Leafs!).
A few thoughts on the above:
  • mixing personal beefs and vendettas with otherwise fairly informative commentary makes for bad viewing
  • Westboro Church...how does that place keep afloat?
  • I'm not sure if many conservatives stand for anything anymore, except for the fact that they want to point out that everyone else is always wrong. Tiring...and in my opinion, it is not really in line with my own conservative values. Strap on a pair...say something and stand behind it.
  • Some dude in Houston is claiming to be the second coming of Jesus, and as far as I'm concerned, he probably is every bit as god like as the original Jesus.
  • Philosophy requires reading things that singe my mind and make me need to catch a siesta on the couch.
  • The Leafs better pull it together and get in the playoffs.
I don't mean to offend any of you God fearing folks out there in VJ land, but I stumbled across this site and it brought a smile to my face...after reading all these complex arguments and scripture quotes and philosophical hodge podge, this lays it straight. God FAQ

7 comments:

ilove0088 said...

Welcome to:
http://ilove0088.blogspot.com/

VonJackass said...

Trust religion to bring out the best cyberspace has to offer...

The Goat said...

The guy wherever he is from is clearly wrong. I am, in fact, the second (or perhaps the third now...not sure) coming of Jesus (Alfonso De la Silva).

Prove that I am not. Now everybody now...clap!

VonJackass said...

True true John...my point about conservatism that I was referring to is that it is pretty lame to try to prove a point by just saying "well clearly liberals are wrong about this that and the other." It is like a fall back argument that holds no power whatsoever.
At least an argument or statement, however skewed it may seem, is respectable if someone has the nerve to lay it out. It may still be wrong, and I may still disagree, but it at least lays something on the line to be debated.
"I'm right because you are wrong" is not going to get anyone anywhere. When the whining begins, the argument is lost.

I am on side with the fiscal conservative values - both as an individual and as a society. I am not a religious man, so i generally see extreme religious conservatism to be beyond reason, whether it is North America, Afghanistan, Iran or otherwise.

Anonymous said...

Well, Goat, will the real God stand up?
Within months, if not years, by my hand, we will be in the post apocalyptic world of 'Jericho' on TV! Stay tuned!

The Goat said...

Sorry to disappoint John, but Jesus Alfonso De la Silva was just a humble fishmonger from a small coastal fishing village in Spain. He (nor I now) could not walk on water nor turn water into wine, but he sure could net a mess of fish.

If that other dude was talking 'bout a different Jesus...I digress....

VonJackass said...

Come on now, Goat...you are too modest. I saw you pulling a couple of miraculous disco moves at JJ Mahoney's that would have caused a stress fracture to the pelvis and compressed lumbar disks of a mortal man...Not to mention years of systematic rehabilitation to the ego.
Blessed art thou brother.